Salivary Hormone Testing
Hormone levels can have a huge impact on your health! These hormones include estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol. Hormone testing is important when a suspected hormone imbalance is occurring or we are treating a hormonal imbalance with bioidentical hormones. Obtaining the details of hormonal levels helps to guide treatment and ensure your health and safety.
Hormones can be tested through bloodwork and this is usually recommended by conventional practitioners. This tests hormones that are circulating in the bloodstream but doesn’t give us much information on what is happening in the cells. Salivary testing tests the hormones that have passed into the saliva from the salivary glands. This provides information on the hormones that are being delivered to the tissues which is a more accurate measurement of how hormones are working in your body.
This test is completed in the comfort of your own home and then sent to the lab for assessment. Depending on the test being performed, you may only have to provide one sample or there may be several samples required over a period of time. Hormone panels may include:
· Female panel (testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, DHEA, cortisol)
· Male panel (testosterone, estrogen, DHEA, cortisol)
· 4-point cortisol curve (cortisol measured at 4 points during the day)
· Month-long assessment (estrogen and progesterone measured throughout the month)
Symptoms of hormone imbalances may include:
· Menstrual cramping
· Fibrocystic breasts
· Low libido
· Ovarian cysts
· Menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, vaginal dryness)
· Brain fog
· Hair changes (thinning hair, hair loss, hair growth)
· Weight gain or difficulty losing weight especially around the midsection
Your hormones can be involved in many symptoms and regulating them can make a huge difference in your health. The more information we have, the more accurately and efficiently we can balance your hormones. You can take control of your hormones and health today!